Monday, July 29, 2019

The unfaithfulness of the disciples Mk 14:26-31


GOSPEL OF MARK SERIES.


The Bible: Gospel of Mark icon.

During 2019, each week, I will write a weekly post about the Gospel of Mark, as I review and explore each of the 16 chapters and how it may be applied in our daily lives. If you are following this series for the first time, you will find this series under Scripture- New Testament- Gospel of Mark. 

Click here to read the first post in the series. I have written this series in different years (2012, 2015, 2018) with some irregularity, but am determined to complete this series this year since I am more than half way through this Gospel.
My goal is to understand and pray the Gospel of Mark. I hope you will join me on this journey as we travel through the liturgical season.  In today's post we explore chapter 14:26 -31 which is called The Unfaithfulness of the Disciples.

THE UNFAITHFULNESS OF THE DISCIPLES.

At the end of the meal, Jesus and His disciples sing a hymn of praise, and then depart together for the Mount of Olives. They leave the upstairs room probably in the south-western part of the city, and may have walked outside the city walls to a small country place nearby called Gethsemane on the lower part of the slop of the Mount of Olives, outside the eastern wall of the city.  Judas appear to have already left the group and tone to betray Jesus.

As they walk to Gethsemane, Jesus speaks of a desertion by all His disciples, and a public denial by one of them, Peter. Plots and infidelity formed the setting before and after the meal at Bethany. Now, before and after the last meal in Jerusalem, Jesus speak of unfaithfulness.

The words of the prophet Zechariah ( Zech 13:7-9), who lived in the fifth century BC after the time of the exile of the Jews in Babylon, give the setting. When the shepherd is struck down the sheep will be scattered, but after the times of testing they will all be gathered together once more in God’s people.

Again, Jesus briefly refers to His future vindication by God in resurrection (28).  He has done this already several times, on the mountain and in the three prophecies of His passion (9:9, 8:31, (:34 and 10:14).

Then Jesus tells His disciples that after He is raised, He will go before them all into Galilee, Galilee is the place of beginning for the disciples, where Jesus first called to be disciples, and where the followed Him and witnessed His first proclamations of the gospel.  The mention of Galilee hints of new beginnings for the disciples after Jesus has been raise by God.

The disciples reply confidently that they will never become deserters. Their rash confidence challenges us to look with honesty at our faithfulness.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS..

In our journal and/or our discussion group we may wish to reflect on this passage as follows:

  • Name the key points that you have learnt about the person of Jesus in this passage of scripture?
  • Imagine that you are the disciples- What do you see and hear and feel. What can I learn from this?
·            Imagine being the one of the disciples listening to Jesus about His teaching.
        W
hat questions do I want to bring to Jesus? 

  • What is reading the Gospel passage with the eyes and ears of disciple mean to me?

  • How does Jesus make clear His teaching to me in this passage?
  • Consider a situation in your life today where the teaching of Jesus needs to be applied. Why is it difficult to be challenged on a long-held view and be open to viewing it differently?
  • Consider how much my faith means to me and what does my faithfulness/unfaithfulness to my church/parish mean to me and others?
  • What are the areas in my life I need to bring to Jesus in the light of this teaching?

  • Am I willing to look into myself with honesty and ask how much do I grasp what it means to be a true disciple of Jesus in the light of this teaching? 














No comments:

Post a Comment