Friday, December 15, 2017

Advent Series: Season of Hope: Thursday of Second Week: Christ the Teacher

Teacher:

Where is my teacher, the one I trust? He leads me where I would rather not go and teaches me what I would rather not learn. His lessons are hard to accept and yet good, oh so good to those who have developed a taste for them. Bitter in my mouth, yet far sweeter than the finest chocolate or the sweetest of honey. My teacher feeds my soul.

Where is my teacher, the one I trust, He brought me thus far, surely He will not abandon me now.  I hunger for that which only he can teach.

 
''I, the Lord, your God teach you which is for your good,
and lead you on the way you should go''. Isaiah 48:17
 
 
 
Suggestion:
 
 
1. Light the Second Advent candle and quieten your spirit before the Lord. As you light it think of its name and all that Bethlehem means. If you have some difficulty with your own thoughts on Bethlehem, then, why not Google something about the manger, about Bethlehem itself. Share what you have learned in your note book or with family members/parishioners. If you have done this  earlier in the week, do your thoughts on Bethlehem change today- are they different or similar?  Bethlehem mean house of Bread.


2. Think of all your teachers in your life- parents, school teachers/university tutors, priests, friends, colleagues, your employer, parishioners etc.  What lessons have they taught you. What lessons were bitter in your mouth at the time and hard to swallow but sweet later.  You might like to list some of these lessons and list the person/people involved. Is there one person who is a significant teacher in your life?


3. Now think of Christ as your teacher: What lessons has Christ taught you that were bitter/sweet?  What lessons were for your good and gave you direction?  How often do you consult with Christ as your teacher- seldom, only when things are tough, every day?


4. Going back over the series so far and some particular issue that has touched you since starting this journey of season of hope series,  why not talk it over with Christ as Teacher.  What lessons do you need to learn from it, how will Christ guide you?  


5. Before you close your session, thank Christ for your life now as it is- it may not be ideal or how you would like- but thank God. Thank God for your life, what you have learned, the mistakes you have made and learned from them, and the hope you have for your life in the future. Leave one aspect, one concern before the Lord and give it to Him to hold, to guide you and to give you what is good from it. 

Leave your meditation time with hope knowing that God will teach you, give what is for your good and lead you on the way you should go.


6. Read the scripture again and keep it in your heart today.  You may also like to listen to

The Lord is my shepherd ( Boniwell)  or The Holy Vine ( Moore)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment