Thursday, June 23, 2011

Compendium Series: Why does evil exist if God is good?

57. If God is omnipotent and provident, why then does evil exist? (CCC 309-310, 324, 400)

Compendium states:
To this question, as painful and mysterious as it is only the whole of Christian faith can constitute a response. God is not in any way- directly or indirectly- the cause of evil.  He illuminates the mystery of evil in His Son Jesus Christ who died and rose in order to vanquish that great moral evil, human sin, which is at the root of all other evils.

What does this mean for me?
  1. I can thank God that Jesus died and rose again to vanquish sin.
  2. I can think of the suffering and the love which Jesus had for me when I am tempted to sin.

Questions to consider:
  1. How do I answer this question ((eg to a family suffering a tragedy’ Why did God allow this to happen?’)
  2. Why can God not be the cause of directly or indirectly the cause of evil?
  3. What are the evils in my life which I wish to repent?

No comments:

Post a Comment