Saturday, May 28, 2011

Spiritual anniversaries


I do not know about you but I like to have spiritual anniversaries and remember them in some way.  You might be wondering what I mean by spiritual anniversaries- these are events in my spiritual journey such as anniversary of baptism,  first reconciliation (confession), first communion, confirmation and other special moments in my spiritual life, which are not sacraments, but have been incredible blessings.(eg life in the Spirit Seminars, fruitful spiritual direction sessions and the like)

Today is one of those days- anniversary of my first communion in 1968-nothing like getting out a photo and having a look at myself on that day- getting out my first communion dress and thinking- wow- did I ever get into that!!!! And remembering as much as I can about the whole day- for example- it was not only the first time I received the Eucharist, but it was the first time I had a cup of tea-never had another 'cuppa' until another 20 years later!!!

You might be thinking- I do not remember these dates- why not do some research and find out your special dates or if not, then try to recall approximately when it might have been.Or if you really do not have any success in finding out the dates, then why not set your own calendar of spiritual anniversaries- that way you can celebrate these events in your life when it is suitable for you each year.

As a single person, I only have my birthday to celebrate- so spiritual anniversary celebrations help to create joy in my heart around the calendar year.It is something I created early in my life and continued.

Remembering my first communion anniversary today is a great opportunity to thank God for the gift of Himself in the Eucharist, and to desire to know and love Him more. What would life be without the Mass and without being able to receive Jesus in the Eucharist?

But of course spiritual anniversaries are not just about wallowing in a trip down memory lane. It is an opportunity for some spiritual review and spring cleaning and a chance to ask God for those graces I need now and for the future.

I hope that your spiritual anniversaries too are a source of great joy and growth for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment