Friday, March 12, 2010

Spring cleaning and Lent

Spring cleaning and Lent


Even though it is Autumn, I am attempting to do some 'spring cleaning' both on the physical and spiritual levels. Both levels are emotionally demanding and at times draining. On the physical level, I realize that over the years I have collected 'things', that is kept them 'in case I needed them'.  In fact, as I look at them, I ask myself (a) when was the last time I used these items and (b) what I am keeping them for?  I am trying to free myself up physically by removing the clutter which has accumulated over such a long time.  It takes courage for me to let go, because in my past experiences of attempting to do de-cluttering', I discovered that the items that I let go, I somehow needed in the next couple of weeks, after I had said goodbye to them. Strangely enough I still managed without them.  It takes courage because these items all have a story and a memory attached, but by De-cluttering, it lets the story and memory live.

SPIRITUAL SPRING CLEANING

On the spiritual level, I have also been trying to do some 'spring cleaning' in the season of Lent.  The Church provides this fitting time of the year to 'spring-clean the soul'.  Scripture tells us " Where your treasure is, there will your heart also be' (Mt 6:21).  I ask myself:


·                     Where is my heart really?
·                     What is the treasure that is most important spiritually?
So I wish to share this reflection prayer as I De-clutter my physical, emotional and spiritual life.

Open my hands, Lord...
Help me to let go of those worldly treasures to which I cling.
Open my heart, Lord...
Help to make room for the heavenly treasures 
Your Spirit will bring.





No comments:

Post a Comment