Friday, June 7, 2019

6th Promise: Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.


PROMISES OF THE SACRED HEART SERIES.

 

Sacred Heart of Jesus- Promise of the Sacred Heart Series Icon.

In this series, there will be posts on the Promises of the Sacred Heart on each First Friday.  I may add further posts on other Fridays as well but for now as it is a new series, let us focus on each promise each month.

THE PROMISES OF OUR LORD.

"I promise you, in the excessive mercy of my heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Friday for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance; they shall not die in my disgrace nor without receiving the sacraments; my divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in that last moment." 

SIXTH PROMISE Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
 

Today is the first Friday in June.  Let us consider this sixth promise by Jesus and make it our intention during June.’’
On the Second Sunday of Easter, we celebrate Mercy Sunday. Jesus to Sr. Faustina
On one occasion, I heard these words: "My daughter, tell the whole world about My inconceivable mercy. I desire that the Feast of Mercy be a refuge and shelter for all souls, and especially for poor sinners. On that day the very depths of My tender mercy are open. I pour out a whole ocean of graces upon those souls who approach the fount of My mercy. The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment. On that day all the divine floodgates through which graces flow are opened. Let no soul fear to draw near to Me, even though its sins be as scarlet. My mercy is so great that no mind, be it of man or of angel, will be able to fathom it throughout all eternity. Everything that exists has come forth from the very depths of My most tender mercy. Every soul in its relation to Me will contemplate My love and mercy throughout eternity. The Feast of Mercy emerged from My very depths of tenderness. It is My desire that it be solemnly celebrated on the first Sunday after Easter. Mankind will not have peace until it turns to the Fount of My Mercy.

"[Let] the greatest sinners place their trust in My mercy. They have the right before others to trust in the abyss of My mercy. My daughter, write about My mercy towards tormented souls. Souls that make an appeal to My mercy delight Me. To such souls I grant even more graces than they ask. I cannot punish even the greatest sinner if he makes an appeal to My compassion, but on the contrary, I justify him in My unfathomable and inscrutable mercy. Write: before I come as a just Judge, I first open wide the door of My mercy. He who refuses to pass through the door of My mercy must pass through the door of My justice.
"From all My wounds, like from streams, mercy flows for souls, but the wound in My Heart is the fountain of unfathomable mercy. From this fountain spring all graces for souls. The flames of compassion burn Me. I desire greatly to pour them out upon souls. Speak to the whole world about My mercy."
Excerpted from Diary of Sr. M. Faustina Kowalska.

Now we are almost up to Pentecost and throughout this month of June we can take refuge as sinners in the infinite mercy of Jesus as we consider the 6th promise. Of course, the availability of God’s mercy is every day-24/7 and is not just restricted to Mercy Sunday or Lent or Advent. 

So how as Catholics can we call on the mercy of God. Jesus Himself provided the answer= Sacrament of Reconciliation. Jesus knew that we are all sinners- He did for us as sinners. However, we need to acknowledge that we are sinners in need of God’s mercy. When we go to Confession/ Sacrament of Reconciliation whether it has been the ice age since we have been or yesterday, we acknowledge to God through the priest that we are sinners needing pardon. We specify what sins we can remember and humbly give Jesus an act of contrition. The priest will provide a penance and we are meant to do that penance as our sign to God that we want to make reparation for what we have done/not done.  When the priest lifts his hand to give us absolution, it is really Jesus giving us this absolution and giving us mercy and a fresh start.

Many Catholics have let the Sacrament of Reconciliation slide from their Catholic life. They are missing out on the graces that God can offer- healing for body mind and spirit. Jesus is the healer- the physician and as sinners we are sick. We need to go to Jesus as the doctor who can not only prescribe but actually heal us.

In this month of June where we celebrate the Feast of the Sacred Heart- Friday after Corpus Christi ( body and Blood of Christ), why not make a point of attending the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

If it has been  since the ice age since you have been to the Sacrament, why not make an appointment and see and priest- explain to him that you would like to go to confession and it has been a while- if you have forgotten what to do, ask him to help you through the process.  Let the priest know why you are making the appointment so he can give you the time you need.

Also it is good to find a regular confessor who can get to know you in a spiritual sense and help you grow in your faith journey. I know myself when I had a regular confessor, my spiritual life was so much better.  Some times it is not possible to have a regular confessor or perhaps you do not want to go to confession to the parish priest. Find a good holy priest whom you feel comfortable who will be happy to help you grow on your faith journey.

Remember what the promise of Jesus is for this month – we can ask for His mercy every day as we examine our day and our consciences. What went well today- this helps us thank God for those graces. What did not go well- where could I have done better- opportunity to say sorry to God every night before you fall asleep. Ask for the grace to do better tomorrow.

When we examine our consciences on a regular basis, we may discover are area in our life that is a constant.. this is good because we can work on it and improve and change behaviours and attitudes.

Regular attendance for the Sacrament of Reconciliation keeps our spiritual motor humming and in good order. It provides great opportunity for spiritual growth and our personal flaws and regular sins become less as we make the effort to change. God, in His mercy gives us the grace when we ask.






No comments:

Post a Comment