Sunday, December 23, 2018

COLLECT SERIES


 

The Mass: Collect Series Icon.

The Collect for the 4th Sunday of Advent Year C reads as follows:

Pour forth, we beseech you, O Lord, your grace into our hearts, 
that we, to whom the Incarnation of Christ your Son was made known by the message of an Angel, 
may by his Passion and Cross be brought to the glory of his Resurrection. 
Who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS


In making this prayer tangible the following reflection questions emerged:


1. What grace do I wish to receive this Sunday at Mass?

2. What spiritual present do I wish to receive this Christmas?  Have I prayed for it- there is still time.
3. Who are the messengers who bring the good news of Christ to me?
4. What message of good news will I bring this coming week to family and friends, parishioners and those I meet?
5. How does this prayer give me hope and  remind me of the purpose of the Incarnation?
6. How have I grown this Advent?



Basilica of Visitation in Holy Land.


GOSPEL REFLECTION.


The Gospel of this Sunday, Luke 1:38-45 recounts the visit of Mary to St. Elizabeth. 
In today's Gospel, Elizabeth says to Mary, "Who am I that the Mother of my Lord should come to me?" She tells how the babe (John the Baptist) leaped in her womb as she became filled with the Holy Spirit. Both women in their encounter realised that they had a place to play in plan of salvation.  They may not have understood it but both in their own way said yes despite any misunderstandings and misgivings. .
Finally, Mary remains three months with her kinswoman before returning to her home. This Sunday, so close to Christmas, the Church invites us to focus our attention on Mary, round-wombed because of the God-child.


We can also focus our attention on Mary's Magnificat- Mary's prayer.  There are many music settings of this prayer by many composers. Here are a couple of different genres of the same prayer.








No comments:

Post a Comment