Thursday, March 1, 2012

Compendiium Series: What was the fall of the angels?

74. What was the fall of the angels? (CCC394-395,414)

The Compendium states:
This expression indicates that Satan and the other demons, about which Sacred scripture and the Traditions of the Church speak, were angels created good for God.  They were, however, transformed into evil because with a free and irrevocable choice they rejected God and His kingdom, thus giving rise to the existence of hell. They try to associate human beings with their revolt against God.  However, God has wrought in Christ a sure victory over the Evil One.

What does this mean for me?
  1. The fall of the angels can happen to me in the sense that each time I sin and reject God, I am joining their revolt and being transformed into evil. This is a powerful thought when tempted to sin.
  2. It is important to remember that God created the angels for good but through their choice, they rejected God.  God also created me for good.
Questions to consider:
  1. How does the fall of the angels relate to my life?
  2. Why do I reject God and join the revolt of the demons when I sin?


No comments:

Post a Comment