Thursday, March 8, 2012

Compendium Series: first human sin and its effect.

75. What was the first human sin? (CCC396-403,415-417)
When tempted by the devil, the first man and woman allowed trust to die in their hearts. In their disobedience they wished to become ‘like God’ but without God and not in accordance to God (Genesis 3:5). Thus Adam and Eve lost for themselves and their descendants the original grace of holiness and justice.
What does this mean for me?
  1. When I am tempted by the devil, I become like Adam and Eve because I allow trust to die in my heart.
  2. I lose the grace of holiness and justice when I am tempted by the devil.
  3. When I sin, I also want to be ‘like God’ but not in accordance to God.
  4. I can pray each day for the grace to trust God and to ask for my trust in Him to grow strong.
  5. I can pray to God for the grace of holiness and justice to become a lighthouse in my life.
      
    Questions to consider:
  1. Why did Adam and Eve’s sin affect all their descendants?
  2. How can I increase the grace of holiness and justice in my life?
  3. How do I allow trust to die in my heart when I am tempted?
  4. How can I stand up to temptation of the devil?
  5. Why do I give in to the temptations of the devil-what is my underlying weakness?



No comments:

Post a Comment