Friday, March 16, 2012

Compendium Series: Original Sin


76. What is original sin? (CCC404,419)

The Compendium states:
Original sin, in which all human beings are born, is the state of deprivation of original holiness and justice.  It is a sin ‘contracted’ by us not ‘committed’; it is a state of birth and not a personal act.  Because of the original unity of all human beings, it is transmitted to the descendants of Adam ‘not by imitation’, but by ‘propagation’.  This transmission remains a mystery which we cannot fully understand.

What does this mean for me?
1.      The consequence of original sin means that I am inclined to sin, but I am also redeemed from it at baptism and through Christ’s redemption on the cross.
2.      Although original sin is a state of birth, I do not need to add to it by my own personal sins since I lose the grace of holiness and justice when I am tempted by the devil.
3.      I can pray for the grace of holiness and justice and look forward to the day when I am in Heaven without the effects of original sin.
4.      I can read Genesis Chapter 1-3 to understand the concept of original sin more fully
.
Questions to consider:
  1. Why is the transmission of original sin a mystery?
  2. Why is original sin transmitted through propagation rather than imitation of Adam?
  3. How can I increase the grace of holiness and justice in my life?
  4. How does original sin affect my life personally?

No comments:

Post a Comment