Thursday, January 26, 2012

Compendium Series: Unity of the soul and body

69. How do the soul and body form a unity in the human being? (CCC362-365.382)
The human person is a being at once corporal and spiritual. In man, spirit and matter form one nature.  This unity is so profound that thanks to the spiritual principle which is the soul, the body which is material becomes a living human body and participates in the dignity of the image of God.

What does this mean for me?
  1. My soul and body is a living human body and participates in the dignity of the image of God.
  2. I need to look after both my body and soul so that it may participate fully in the dignity of the image of God in which it is meant to be clothed.
  3. In looking after my body, I need to clothe it in a way that expresses the image of God, eat in a healthy manner, exercise regularly and allow my body regular rest and sleep.
  4. In looking after my soul, I need to participate fully regularly at Mass and avail myself of the opportunity to repent of my sins and be forgiven by God's mercy through the sacrament of reconciliation, attend to my daily prayers and spend time with God knowing and loving Him.
  Questions to consider:
  1. What effect does sin have on my body and how does it affect my participation in the dignity of the image of God?
  2. What importance to do give to looking after both my body and my soul?
  3. What changes to I need to make in my life to give unity to both my body and soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment