Sunday, March 8, 2020

Collect for Second Sunday Lent Year A


COLLECT SERIES



The Mass

The Mass: Collect Series Icon.


COLLECT


COLLECT SERIES

 

 

COLLECT

The Collect for the Second Sunday of Lent reads as follows:

 

O God who have commanded us to listen to Your beloved Son,

Be pleased we pray, to nourish us inwardly by Your word,

That with spiritual sight made pure, we may rejoice to behold Your glory.

Through our Lord, Jesus Christ, Your Son,

Who lives and reigns with You in the unity of the Holy Spirit,

One God, for ever and ever.

 

REFLECTION QUESTIONS:

 

In making this prayer more tangible for during the week, the following reflection questions emerged.

 

  1.  What does it mean to hear and what does it mean to listen?
  2.   Am I following the command to listen to Jesus- the beloved Son?
  3.  What excuses/obstacles do I make/are in the way of spending time to listen to Jesus?
  4.   How do I study and pray God’s word?
  5.   How will I listen/prayer and study God’s word this coming week?
  6.   What are the sins/obstacles and problems in my life hindering my spiritual sight?  What will I do about at least one of these sins/obstacles/problems this coming week?

 

 GOSPEL REFLECTION.

 

The Second Sunday of Lent presents to us a theme of hope- hope of future glory.  In the Gospel, we hear the Gospel from Matthew of the Transfiguration. Jesus is transfigured in the sight of the disciples- not all of them but Peter, James and John. Peter is so delighted and fulfilled that he wants to build the tents so that they can stay there.

Suddenly they hear the voice of God the Father (the voice from the cloud) speaking to them, telling them ‘’ This is my beloved Son-He enjoys My favour- listen to Him’’

They are overcome with fear.  When they raise their eyes, they see no one but Jesus.

 

Of all the Gospel stories, this is indeed my favourite. Why, you might be wondering.

I love this Gospel account of the Transfiguration from Matthew because:

 

1.    It reminds me of my pilgrimage to the Holy Land back in 2000 and of course my visit to Mt Tabor.  Yes, it is indeed wonderful to be there.

2.    I especially find helpful the phrase’’ They looked up and saw no one but Jesus’.  I find this phrase particularly useful to remember when receiving the Sacrament of Penance/Reconciliation- in confessing and particularly at the time of absolution.

3.    I appreciate the reaction of the disciples- I imagine being in their place- how would I have reacted- probably exactly the same- with fear.  This is heartening because Peter, despite his fears became the head of the church- the one Jesus chose to be the rock on which I will build the Church.   Jesus chooses us every day. How do I react?  Do I react knowing I am God’s masterpiece- one of a kind in His eyes and despite my fears do His work each day?

4.    I also appreciate in my life  what Jesus spoke to the disciples ( and to me)
 “ Stand up, do not be afraid’’.  How many times in our lives can fear/anxiety stop us, paralyse us in our minds and hearts from doing what is right, what needs to be done.  Jesus reminds us ‘’Stand up, do not be afraid’’.  

5.    The phrase ‘’Stand up’’ is also important because when we are in fear, our mind and body is down. Standing up means movement-  moving from our closed position in our mind and body.  Try it the next time you are sitting down. See how you feel when you stand up. Standing up means placing our feet on the floor/ground- being rooted.  When we stand up with God’s help, we know we are rooted in His love.  We can stand up because we know He is with us.

 

Finally the reason I love listening to this Gospel Account of the Transfiguration is that it is a Gospel full of hope for us.  It is a feast of hope of future Glory.  It points us during our Lenten journey to our goal- life with God for ever in Heaven.  We are not embarking on our Lenten journey for its own end- no- the real reason is what it offers us in the future.   The Collect of the Mass also refers to it also.

 

We may feel frightened, sad, depressed at the state of the Church. We may feel like giving up- think the Church is a spent force or see no hope for it.  This can all be realistic in one sense but very paralysing to our spiritual nourishment.  We must stand up and be not afraid.  We must raise our eyes and see no one but Jesus. We must remember the goal- hope of future Glory.

 

So on this Second Sunday of Lent- be uplifted and encouraged. Rejoice in our hearts as we are given  encouragement today by both God Himself and Jesus through the Holy Spirit in the reading of the Transfiguration from Matthew.

 

May you be spiritually nourished this coming week..

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment