Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Gospel of Mark Series: No Signs for the Pharisees. 8:11-13.

GOSPEL OF MARK SERIES


The Bible- Gospel of Mark Series Icon.


Welcome again to my Gospel of Mark Series. I have not written for this series since January 2013, but as I am half way through Mark’s Gospel, I am determined to recommit to this series, and in the process gain a fuller understanding of Mark's Gospel.

During 2015, each week, I will write a post about the Gospel of Mark, as I review and explore each of the 16 chapters and how it may be applied in our daily lives. My goal is to understand and pray the Gospel of Mark.  I hope you will join me on this journey as we travel through the liturgical season.  In today's post, we explore chapter 8: 11-13 which is called No signs for Pharisees.

NO SIGNS FOR PHARISEES.

After the second meal in a desert place, Jesus with his disciples to the district of Dalmanutha (8:10).  Although the geographical location of this place is unknown, Mark understands it to be on the western shore of the lake, across from the place where the crown was fed the second times, apparently in the Decapolis on the eastern side of the lake.

The opposition to Jesus has resumed when the Pharisees come and start to argue with Him again.  The lesson the meal in the desert that Jesu can nourish people with new life is lost on them.  These Jewish religious leaders in Galilee seek signs that convince them that Jesus is from God.

The word ‘sign’ used three times in this short passage, is not Mark’s usual word for a work of Jesus.  Mark understands the works of Jesus not so much as signs of something hidden, but as works of divine power coming into the world to free people from evils.

TYPES OF SIGNS

There are signs that convince and signs that witness.   The former proves beyond all doubt, the latter invite.  While the operate not matter what a person’s interior attitude may be, the latter can witness to happenings only where there is an interior readiness to see.  The Pharisees ask for the former, but Jesus offered the latter.

Jesus responds to the lack of faith in the Pharisees with a deep sigh.  Marks has mentioned the emotions of Jesus before (1.14, 3:5, 6:34).  The phrase ‘ Truly, I say to you’ is used by Mark only in the sayings of Jesus to emphasise important teaching.

In a symbolic gesture, Jesus leaves the Pharisees and gets back into the boat for another crossing of the lake, towards Bethsaida on the eastern shore, the place to where Jesus has earlier told his disciples to go ahead of him.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS


In our journal and/or our discussion group we may wish to reflect on this passage as follows:

·         Name the key points that you have learnt about the person of Jesus in this passage of scripture?
·         Reflect on the keywords in this passage for they contain the substance and purpose of all the things Jesus said and did-?  
·         Imagine that you are one of the Pharisees.  What do you see and hear and feel. What can I learn from this?
·         What kind of signs would I expect God to give to reveal divine power in the world.?  
·         What kind of signs do I want Jesus to give me for my life/my family/my parish?
·         Enter into the interior feeling of Jesus which causes his deep sigh? Does Jesus react to us when we are Pharisees looking for signs or testing Him?
·         How do we walk away from people who look for a sign from us and/or test us? What signs are they looking for?  Why are we able/not able to give them these signs?
·         Reflect on my relationship with Jesus and this teaching in the light of this gospel passage. What are my experiences of trusting God for my needs?
·         What are some areas in my life that need further trusting from God?  Make a list of areas in my life that need a change of heart and develop an action plan on how this change of heart might occur. (e.g. name an area and name one/two changes that you will implement with God's help.
·         What impact does Jesus’ teaching have on you (8:11-13)?
·         How has this passage spoken to you- what does it say to you?
 .

No comments:

Post a Comment