Sunday, April 12, 2015

Divine Mercy Sunday

DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY


Jesus as Divine Mercy

On the Second Sunday of Easter, the Church celebrates Mercy Sunday- a feast instituted by the late Pope John Paul 11. The Gospel account of Doubting Thomas highlights the need to have faith, but shows Christ's patience with those of us who come to faith through experience. We all have times when we want something extra-a sign, a direction, a clue from God.  Christ encourages us to walk by faith and not by sight. 

Today's Gospel highlights Jesus giving the Apostles His power to forgive sin and/or retain them- the start of the sacrament of Penance/Reconciliation.  People often say that I can confess my sins straight to God and don’t need to go through a priest. However, the point is that we are confessing our sins to God, but God in His infinite kindness provides us with priests who are God's ear for us and God's hand of mercy at the words of absolution.  

God provides through the presence of a priest the visible signs we need to make it tangible, along with the grace of the sacrament. It is like Thomas who needed to see the nail scarred hands. Also, priests like us, are human too- they too struggle in their own individual ways. They understand the struggle and can demonstrate to us God's understanding and mercy.  We need to always pray for our priests as well, since as shepherds of our souls, we need them to stay on track and keep us on track towards Heaven.  

PERSONAL NOTE 

On a personal note- Praying for the priest as part of my preparation for the Sacrament is something I like to do. In my parish, an order parish, we are blest with a variety of priests.  So, I am never quite sure who will ''appear'' for confessions.  However, God always seems to provide the one I need and from time to time, He provides the ones I may prefer. Regardless, he is always God's loving hand of mercy and forgiveness.  I don’t know about you, but have you ever been to Sacrament of Reconciliation and the priest spoke the very words or phrases that you needed to hear?  Isn't just the most wonderful moment. I used to think when I was young that he could read my mind.  In later years when this happens, I know God is working in him and I smile to myself and thank God.

The other personal note I would like to share is that today is the anniversary of my confirmation- back in 1970.but I love to celebrate these special spiritual milestones.  I find it a great way to ponder anew the sacraments and give myself a refresher, set some new spiritual goals for the year and keep the journey towards heaven moving in the right direction.  The journey of the Spirit is always alive. It is even more special today as it falls on Mercy Sunday.

Mercy Sunday is an amazing feast of God's love and mercy.  Why not avail yourself of the great opportunity God provides in your parish or in your area. 

As we celebrate Mercy Sunday, let us give thanks to the Lord for his goodness and everlasting love.
Alleluia.!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment