Thursday, May 24, 2012

Compendium Series: After the first sin

78. After the first sin what did God do? (CCC410-412,420)

The Compendium states:
 
After the first sin the world was inundated with sin but God did not abandon man to the power of death.  Rather, He foretold in a mysterious way in the “Protoevanegelium” (Genesis3:15) that evil would be conquered and that man would be lifted up from his fall.  This was the first proclamation of the Messiah and Redeemer.  Therefore, the fall would be called in the future a ‘happy fault’ because it “gained for us so great a Redeemer” (Liturgy of the Easter Vigil”)

What does this mean for me?
1. I can offer a prayer of thanks to God for sending humanity a Redeemer, One who is not only Redeemer of the past but of my present life as well.
2. When I feel disheartened with my efforts to walk the journey, I will remind myself that ‘man is lifted up from his fall’ each time I receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Questions to consider:
  1. What does it mean to me that evil would be conquered by God?
  2. How can I be lifted up from my fall?
  3. What does Jesus as Redeemer mean to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment