Thursday, April 12, 2012

Compendium Series: Other consequences derived from original sin

77. What other consequences derive from original sin? (CCC405-409,428)
In consequence of original sin human nature, without being totally corrupted is wounded in its natural powers.  It is subject it ignorance, to suffering, and to the dominion of death and it is inclined toward sin.  This inclination is called concupiscence.

What does this mean for me?
1. I can be kind to myself with regard to my inclination to sin because it is part of my human nature.  However, this is not an excuse not to try be perfect as my Heavenly Father is perfect.
2.  I am able to appreciate other people’s weaknesses/sins, because they too are wounded in its natural powers. This may assist me to be merciful towards them.

Questions to consider:
  1. Why is human nature inclined toward sin?
  2. How does ignorance, suffering, dominion of death and inclination towards sin impact on my life?
  3. What graces are available to combat concupiscence?
  4. Why should be thankful that human nature is not totally corrupted?

No comments:

Post a Comment