Saturday, November 28, 2009

Week 1 Advent Opening Prayer


OPENING PRAYER SERIES.

The Mass

The Mass: Opening Prayer Series Icon.

WEEK 1 ADVENT OPENING PRAYER.


The opening prayer of the Mass for the first week of Advent reads as follows:

Let us pray,
(that we may take Christ's coming seriously)

All-powerful God,
increase our strength of will for doing good
                  that Christ may find an eager welcome at His coming
             and call us to His side in the kingdom of Heaven
                          where He lives and reigns with You and Holy Spirit, 
                                 one God, for ever and ever.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS

In making this prayer tangible for my life during this week, the following reflection questions emerged:

1.     What does taking Christ's coming seriously truly mean for me?

2.  What were the hindrances and obstacles I accepted in my life in previous  Advents?

3.    Name these hindrances/obstacles and choose one of them this week to change this Advent season.  By working on one hindrance/obstacle each week four changes will have occurred and the call to take Christ's coming seriously will be a reality.

4.    How will I increase my strength of will for doing good?
The strength of will for doing good for me will be in my home, family, workplace, parish- an small act of kindness when I do not feel like it will be a great start to increasing my strength for doing good.  Why not start slowly and choose just one per day- I am sure the Holy Spirit will provide the opportunity for me- I pray that I am open to seeing and hearing it and have the courage to act.

5.  What does giving Christ an eager welcome at his coming mean for me this advent?

6.    Am I ready to be called to His side in the kingdom of Heaven?
As humans we are imperfect so we are never totally ready to meet Christ, but the commitment and desire to be ready during this Advent is important.  My list of hindrances/obstacles will assist me in identifying why I am not quite ready to be called to His side. I can take heart in knowing that Christ will hear my prayer and honour my efforts to change.

7.    What does living with God mean for me during this first week of Advent?
Of course, 1 do not know what living with God eternally will be like and Scripture supports this unknowing. One thing I do know is that I can live with God each day by the way I live.

 There is often an alternative Opening Prayer which is chosen by the priest. Should you hear the alternative Opening Prayer on this first Sunday of Advent, why not reflect on it during the week, see what questions emerge for you and decide how you will achieve your 'SIA'- Spirituality in Action 

Well looks like I have work to do this Advent to heed the call to take Christ's coming seriously.
I hope your Advent journey is spiritually exciting and challenging as we focus on 'preparing the way for the Lord' together.

Visit next week for Week 2 of Opening Prayer series. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment