Sunday, November 29, 2009

Spirituality in Action (SIA) NO 1




SPIRITUALITY IN ACTION:WEEK 1 OF ADVENT SERIES.

The Advent Wreath: SIA Advent Series. Icon.




In my Opening Prayer series, I posed a number of questions in relation to the Opening Prayer of the Mass today. You might like to refer to this series.

Normally I go to Sunday Mass, but due to different circumstances, I had the advantage of going to Saturday night Mass (for myself) and Sunday night Mass (to play the piano). Two different styles of Masses gave me two different perspectives on this first Sunday of Advent.

I wish to share my thoughts and feelings about my First Sunday of Advent and how I attempted my Spirituality in Action SIA). These thoughts and feelings and experiences are as follows:

1.The blessing of the Advent Wreath was poignant. The words of the prayer endless and ever new resonated for me. Each year with the Lord is endless- eternal, and yet God, in His generosity, gives me a chance to start afresh- the ever new. I felt heartened by these words and will allow them to permeate my advent.

2. The Second Reading was encouraging- Christ speaking to me through St Paul to live the kind of life He wants me to live- in other words to take Him seriously and to put it into action. My SIA is to read this again during the week to keep me focused.

3. One of the hymns sung at the Saturday evening mass was fascinating- called
'Nations, Hear the Prophet's Word'- sung to the tune of Good King Wenceslas.

Here is the first verse and refrain-
1. Nations, hear the prophet's word, God will come to save us.
O be still and know the Lord; Howe else may God save us?

Refrain: People be not sad of heart, God will come and save us. 
Be forever glad of heart; God will live among us.

My spirituality in Action is to sing this hymn during the week and allow the hope of this Season to permeate my heart. I also want to invite Jesus to come and save me especially in my weaknesses.  I wish to use the Sacrament of Reconciliation well during this season of Advent.  I hope that this might encourage you also to say 'Come Lord Jesus'.

2. Playing for Sunday night Mass is usually not my domain at all. My SIA- a simple yes to playing as a response to' increasing my strength for doing good'. It would have been easier to say no and not be inconvenienced. I am ever an inconvenience to God.

3. Before I went to Mass, I named my hindrances/ obstacles from previous Advents. My SIA is to change one of these each week. Having a focus on one change for the week ties in with the above hymn.
4. Wanting to give Christ an eager welcome is more challenging this year, due to the loss of a loved one.  This first Christmas without my father will be difficult. Still, my SIA is to think of the eager welcome dad hopefully has received from the Lord, and to visualize the eager welcome that Christ shares with me each day, especially when I am struggling in my grief.
I feel heartened too that I can remember in my prayer all those people who find this time of preparing for Christmas a real struggle- My SIA is to pray for them, that in their struggle, that they may experience Christ's eager welcome and some hope.

5. My final SIA is to commit myself to some spiritual growth for the year- not just for the season of Advent. I have decided to learn more about my faith so I really can take the call of Christ seriously.  I will tell you more about this in my faith nurturing series.


I hope that you had a beautiful First Sunday of Advent 
and that you Wait for the Lord during this first week full of hope and expectation.













1 comment:

  1. This is very professionally written for a new blog. Are you a writer? Don't see a profile. And welcome to St. Blogs. Every once in a while, I like to hop over there and see what's new (although I'm afraid it's not very often).

    Keep up this very good work.

    ReplyDelete