Sunday, January 16, 2022

Collect for Second Sunday Ordinary Time Year C

 COLLECT SERIES

 
The Mass

The Mass: Collect Series Icon



COLLECT

 

The Collect for Second Sunday of Ordinary Time Year C reads as follows:

Almighty ever-living God,

who govern all things, both in heaven and on earth,

mercifully hear the pleading of your people

and bestow your peace on our times.

Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,

who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,

God, for ever and ever.

 

REFLECTION QUESTIONS

1. Will I allow God to govern heaven and earth including my life this coming week/year?

2. What do I ask for myself and for others in my prayer life?

3. How do I incorporate the intercessory prayers from Mass into my prayer during the week?

4. How will I cooperate with God by bestowing peace in my family, at work, with those whom I meet this coming week?

5. What does living with Covid 19 mean for my spiritual life this week? 

6. What are my spiritual goals for 2022- for this month, this week, today?

 

GOSPEL REFLECTION

Today’s Gospel is from Jn 2:1-11.  Despite being Year C in which the Gospel of Luke is read, which we started last Sunday, this week the Gospel we read from the Gospel of John.

Today’s Gospel however is the Wedding feast of Cana.  There are some key moments in this Gospel:

  •        Woman why turn to me, my hour has not come yet.
  •      Do whatever He tells you.       
  •    The disciples believed in Him.

 

The wedding miracle at Cana is first sign that Jesus shows His disciples. It highlights his identity.  Jesus was aware of the embarrassment that the young couple would have felt by running out of wine. Jesus is aware of our embarrassment and shame when we fall short in some way. He is there for us when we put our trust in Him.

Mary tells the servants to 'Do whatever He tells you'.  Think about it for a moment. Mary was a guest at the wedding not the bridegroom or a member of the wedding party. A guest- yet the servants did what Mary told them to do. They did not abuse her or tell her to mind her own business. They did not ignore what she said or listen politely to her face and ignored it later. We may ask ourselves ‘do I do what Jesus asks of me”.

The phrase’ woman, why turn to me, my hour has not yet come’ may to our ears seem that Jesus is being rude to Mary.  However, the phrase woman was used in the garden of Eden and then again when Mary is standing at the Cross. Mary is the new Eve and the hour came when Jesus died for our sins and was raised to life. 

Finally, St John is at pains to tell us that the disciples believed in Him.  Remember this is the first sign yet the disciples believed.  In the account, it does not say that they were witnesses to the miracle- after all Jesus told the servants to fill the jars with water. Yet it had turned into wine. 

So what about us in our lives?  Each week I compose a Gospel Reflection for my collection called Gospel Reflections in Song Year C. 

My refrain for this week’s Gospel reflection is:

‘Fill our empty jars Lord,

Fill them to the brim,

Help us to do what you ask of us

And leave the miracle to You’.

 

May you receive the miracle you need in your life this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment