Monday, October 4, 2021

Praying the Rosary in October

 

PRAYER SERIES.

Holy Spirit

Holy Spirit: Prayer Series Icon.





PRAYING THE ROSARY IN OCTOBER.

 

Yesterday I joined an online Rosary for the commencement of the 5th Plenary Council in Australia and for the end to the pandemic.  They prayed in one hour the whole rosary- 20 decades, that is Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful and Glorious.

I have to say that as I was praying the Rosary for these intentions that I realised that I had not prayed the whole Rosary in the one session for a long time. It was indeed an hour well spent.

 

October is the month of the Rosary since the Feast of the Holy Rosary falls on 7th October.  It is a month to honour Mary. 

Notice I use the honour.  Many people mistakenly think that Catholics worship Mary. No, we worship God and God alone but  we honour Mary since although she was without sin from her conception, she was a member of the human race.

 

I have to say from the outset that although I was brought up saying the Rosary, I did not say it regularly myself alone but of course said joined in reciting it before or after Mass over the years. However, during the pandemic and the extended lockdown that Melbourne has had, I started reciting the Rosary most days.

As I had not recited it on my own, I chose to start with a decade a day for a week, then 2 the following week and so on.   What I found though is that once I got into the habit of stopping what I was doing and setting aside some time daily, that it became easier to get into the rhythm of it.

Many people dislike the repetitiveness of the Rosary.  It is in the repetitiveness of the vocal prayers that there is the opportunity to meditate upon the mystery being recited.  I found that having a short scripture quote for each of the mysteries was very helpful not only at the beginning of each mystery but also for times when my mind started to wander.  I would stop and read aloud the scripture quote again to help me refocus.

 

When we pray, it is of course our intention that is vital.  We may feel tired or stressed or have physical ailments that nag us.  However, if our intention is to meditate on the life of Christ through the lens of Mary, then whatever shortcomings may beset us, we may be sure that God will be pleased with our effort.

 

What difference can you make during October by saying the Rosary?

1f you have not said a decade of the Rosary or a set of mysteries or the whole Rosary for ages, then start small and warm into it at your pace.

Perhaps 10 Hail Mary’s may seem too much especially if you have the view that the Rosary is too repetitive.  Then start with 2 Hail Mary’s the first day for 2 days, then 4 for the next 2 days and so on.  Obviously change it up to suit your needs.  The advantage of 2 could be that you say 2 Hail Mary’s in the morning and 2 in the evening.

This could be a way of introducing it and praying the Rosary with your family. Dont hit them with the 20 Decades first day.!!!  However there may be a time that you organise with your family for these 2 Hail Marys.  You could also ask your family to name the intention for these 2 Hail Mary’s. You could start this process with them during October and then continue on throughout the year, gradually increasing it as is appropriate or keeping it at the 2 Hail Marys.

My experience of appreciating the Rosary more is being consistent in reciting it and using the Scripture to remind me and to help me focus when my mind wanders.  It happens when I am tired or stressed. I have been known to fall asleep half way through the decade.  Obviously, this is less likely to happen when the Rosary is being recited with other people. Still, I take comfort in the thought that God knows I am trying and that Heaven is praying with me too.  When I wake up, I am refreshed and I continue on where I left off.

 

So this is one way you could start your own tradition and/or the tradition of your family during October and beyond. Choose your pace, your needs and what you can consistently manage for yourself and/or your family and start today.

No comments:

Post a Comment