Sunday, February 2, 2020

Collect for Solemnity of Presentation of the Lord in the Temptle


COLLECT SERIES.

The Mass

The Mass: Collect Series icon

 

COLLECT


Almighty ever-living God,
we humbly implore Your majesty that
just as your Only Begotten Son was presented on this day in the Temple
in the substance of our flesh,
So, by Your grace, we may be presented to You with minds made pure.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ Your Son,
Who lives and reigns with You in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
One God, for ever and ever.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS


1.What does this Solemnity mean to me?
2. What do I want to give or present to God this coming week in my life?
3. How do I react when I do not understand God’s ways in my life?
4. Consider the reactions of  Mary and Joseph in this moment.  What example can Mary and Joseph give me for my life this coming week
5.What can I learn from Simeon?  Do I have a faith filled longing to meet Christ?
6. How do I cope with changed circumstances.  What can Anna teach me from this Gospel story.

GOSPEL REFLECTION.


A Candle in hands
Today the Church celebrates the feast of the Presentation of the Lord. This occurs h occurs forty days after the birth of Jesus. It is also known as Candlemas day, since the blessing and procession of candles is included in today's liturgy.

The other name for this Solemnity comes from the 1962 Missal of St. John XXIII the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite, where it is referred to as the "Purification of Mary." This is known as a "Christmas feast" since it points back to the Solemnity of Christmas.

On this day many religious choose to renew their vows and commitment to Christ and the Church- their presentation of themselves to Christ.  We may wish to remember in our lives the religious nuns and priests who have lived or are living their commitment faithfully.  It is good to remember that although the Church has been scandalised by those who were unable to keep their commitment through human fraility, there are far more religious who have and are living their commitment faithfully.  We need to honour them and pray for them to continue to do so.

Another tradition that many Catholics keep is to keep out the crib and other Christmas decorations until this feast. This Solemnity of the Presentation of the Lord in the Temple marks the close of the Christmas season .
.






No comments:

Post a Comment