Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Prayer during illness

Since Friday 8/11/19, I have been in hospital and ended up with a mini stroke and other health related issues.

This is the reason there have been no blog posts and podcasts.  Added to that, I just got my computer recently from a kind soul who went and brought it in for me to hospital. Actually I don t feel like doing that much. So forgive me for keeping posts short.

However the question I would like to pose is how do you pray when you are sick? Do you try to pray or just stay still and sense God's presence?

I suppose there are million and one ways but what I am finding is that even the basic Our Father and Hail Mary which is so basic and something I would say everyday  is just a muddle. I start out with the  Our Father and end up with the Hail Mary or Glory be.

Even though my health right now is not riveting, it made me wonder how people pray when they are a lot sicker than I am.

It also made me realise how important prayer is when you are well. It is as though you have some in the bank for such an occasion.  Obviously I dont mean that literally, but I am sure you know what I mean.

So I have had days of muddled basic prayers- the intention is there but the connections are missing. So perhaps one has to go with the intention.

Then do you say '' I will wait or do I persevere with muddled prayers''.  I have to ask myself why it is so hard to pray when I am sick. It raised the question of how Jesus must have felt in the Garden of Gethsemane- how did He pray at that time knowing the disciples would betray Him and He would have to walk the road of Calvary by Himself.

Sorry if post sounds rambling- but it is the best I can do right now.  I guess I would love to remind myself and my readers to pray well when you can especially when you are well, because although I have plenty of time on my hands I do not have the ideal conditions to pray as I would like.

One thing that has been a life saver is having the Bible on the phone. Just surfing the New Testament for some inspiration has been good too. Three cheers for technology I have to say in this regard.

Well I hope this post starts you thinking too- how do we pray when we are sick?











No comments:

Post a Comment