Sunday, June 11, 2017

Trinity Sunday Year A

The Collect of the Mass for Trinity Sunday reads  as follows:

 
Father,
You sent Your Word to bring us truth
and Your Spirit to make us holy
Through them we come to know the mystery of your life 
Help us to worship You, one God in three Persons,
by proclaiming and living our faith in You.

In making this prayer tangible for my life during this week,the following reflection questions emerged: 

1. How I do worship the One True God yet Three Persons?.
2. How does the Trinity work in my life?
3  How do I know the mystery of Your life through the Trinity this week ?
4  What commitment am I prepared to make to know one God yet three persons in my life?
5. What relationship do I have with each of the Three Persons of the One God?
6. How might I proclaim and live my faith in the mystery of the Trinity?

This feast highlights the relationship nature of God in that there is Fatherhood, Sonship and from that love issues the Holy Spirit. . We can spend time trying to explain it, as St Patrick did using the shamrock and many others since, but in essence it is a mystery that we will never truly understand until we reach Heaven. 
 
However, we do not need to wait until then to develop a relationship with  each Person of the Blessed Trinity- we are still praying to God, but each Person of the Trinity can help us as we draw close in our lives.  Jesus helps us to know the Father, since as Jesus Himself said" to know Me is to know the Father since the Father and I are One''.  The Holy Spirit provides all the gifts and fruits to help us be holy. I don't know about you, but I need to be close to the Holy Spirit to increase my level of activation of the gifts and the fruits in my life. I want to be holy but I need the Holy Spirit to guide and support me in this journey towards Heaven. Remember Jesus at the Ascension told us He would not leave us orphans- He would send the Advocate and that He would be with us until the end of time.

The other interesting point to note is that the vestments for Trinity is white. Why is this interesting? It is interesting because white is made up of all the colours to make white.  It lines up well with the feast because although there are 3 persons, there is only one God.  So although there are many colours to make up the colour white, the colour white then is one colour.

The Gospel reading tells us that God came into the world to save us. However we need to want to be saved.  It is our choice. God has given us free will to choose Him or not, but if we choose to reject God, then it has consequences- the consequence is that we have condemned ourselves by rejecting God, not God rejecting us. If we do choose Him, we may suffer or go through some difficult times as part of normal life, but we will be happy because despite the difficulties we encounter, we walk our journey with God.  We have chosen God as a friend, companion, guide.  However, this is a choice we need to make every day. It is not just a one off decision.  It is an every day decision, so that we can live according to God's commandments.  In times of doubt or fear or in happiness, we can say a profound yet very simple prayer: 

                      Glory Be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit
                      as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be
                      world without end.

I find that even when I say the first line of this prayer in times of stress and anxiety brings relief and courage.

May we come to worship a Trinity of Persons , one eternal God in our prayer and in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment