Sunday, April 2, 2017

Fifth Sunday Lent Year A Collect

The Collect for the 5th Sunday of Lent reads as follows:

By Your help we beseech You Lord our God,
may we walk eagerly in that same charity
with which out of love for the world
Your Son handed himself over to death.
 
 
In making this prayer tangible for during the week, the following reflection questions emerged:
 
 
1. What is my level of dependence on God in my life?
2. How and when do I ask God for help? Only when in need or constantly?
3. What is my capacity to obey God in my life?
4. What is my response to the Crucifixion or do I only want to contemplate the Resurrection?
5. How will my Holy Week celebrations change me this year?
6. How will I manage my Lenten Penances, prayer and almsgiving this week?
 
We are heading into the 5th week of Lent.  It is a good time to have a short review of how we are progressing or not with our Lenten penances, prayer and almsgiving.  Now if Lent has been going well for you, then keep on going and moving forward spiritually.  If, like myself you have wavered along the way, then it is not the time to give up and think I start again next year. Oh no- I have done that in the past and I can assure you, it does not work. No, it is time to have a review, see what has worked or not worked,  take your decision to move forward to God and ask Him to help you to complete whatever penance you have decided to do.  Even if that means ditching the one you started earlier in Lent and choosing something that is hard enough but manageable between now and the end of Lent.  Just 12 days to go before Holy Thursday. So let us be renewed in our efforts to get to the finishing line of Lent and the start of the Tridium. 
 
It is also a great time during Lent to receive the sacrament of Reconciliation.  If it has been a while since you last received this sacrament, don't let that put you off.  Take courage and just go.  God loves you and is waiting for you to return to Him.  Just go.  I am saying this for myself as well as it can be tempting to put it off longer than planned.!!!  I remember a priest friend of mine who used to say in his homilies '' if your last reception of the sacrament was in the ice age, then allow Jesus to melt you''.  Between you and I, he always had a good queue but he was worth the wait.!!!
 
Just as Christ gave Himself willingly to die for us, let us show Him that we are willing to make the effort too.
 

 
Let us pray for each other as we push forward towards the Tridium. 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment