Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Collects Year A


COLLECT SERIES

 

THE MANGER AT BETHLEHEM.


Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Collects Year A

The Church provides texts for Christmas Vigil, Midnight and Christmas Day.  So, I have provided the Collects texts for these Masses with some reflection questions. 

Collect for Christmas Eve:


O God, who gladdens us year by year,
as we await in hope for our redemption,
grant that, just as we joyfully welcome our Redeemer,
we may also merit to face him confidently
when he comes again as our judge.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS

In making this prayer tangible for my life during the week, the following reflections questions emerged:

1.Am I gladdened more this year than previous years about my faith?  If not, why might that be?
2. What might I do this coming year to increase my gladness and hope in my redemption?
3. How might the hope of Advent be carried forward into the Christmas season?
4. How do I welcome my Redeemer?
5. What gift will I give to Jesus at the crib this year?
6. Will you experience Jesus as a merciful judge in Reconciliation this Christmastide?
7. How do I feel about meeting Jesus as my judge? Can I meet Him confidently?


MASS DURING THE NIGHT

O God who has made this most sacred night
radiant of the splendour of the true light
grant, we pray, that we, who have known the mysteries of His light on earth,
may also delight in His gladness in heaven.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS


In making this prayer tangible for my life during the week, the following reflections questions emerged:

1.  What makes this night so sacred? Reflect on this sacredness and the meaning of Christmas.
2. How can I reflect the radiance of the splendour of God as a child of God in my life?
3. Why do you think that the Collect refers to light at this time when the symbol of Easter is Christ as light?  What is the connection?
4. What is my image/thoughts about Heaven and meeting Christ face to face?

MASS AT DAWN

COLLECT

Grant we pray almighty God,
that as we are bathed in the new radiance of Your Incarnate Word
the light of faith, which illumines our minds
may also shine through in our deeds.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS

In making this prayer tangible for my life during the week, the following reflections questions emerged:
1. What does it mean to me to be bathed in the new radiance of Your Incarnate Word?
2. How might this bathing be shown in my life?
3. What fogs/darkness of my mind need the light of faith?
4.  What images come to mind with the phrases of bathed, light, shine. How might I connect them in my life?
5.  What deed/s might I engage in this Christmastide which reflects the message of Christmas?

MASS DURING THE DAY

COLLECT


O God, who wonderfully created the dignity of human nature,
and still more wonderfully restored it,
grant we pray, that we may share in the divinity of Christ,
who humbled himself to share in our humanity.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS


In making this prayer tangible for my life during the week, the following reflections questions emerged:

1. Many people have self-esteem issues of one kind of another.  Pray for these people at Christmas that they come to know their dignity before God.
2. How do I feel about my dignity in being a child of God?
3. How might I treasure my dignity as a child of God more fully in my life?
4. Embrace the opportunity this Christmas to receive the sacrament of Reconciliation where Christ, through the priest, restores our dignity as children of God?
5. Dwell on the awesome thought of God becoming a baby before the crib- to share in our humanity.
May all my readers be blessed by God this Christmas.




No comments:

Post a Comment