Monday, September 28, 2026

Collect Series: Twenty Sixth Sunday Ordinary Time Year A

 Collect Series

The Mass: Collect Series Icon




COLLECT

The Collect for 26th Sunday Ordinary Time reads as follows

O God, who manifest Your almighty power above all

by pardoning and showing mercy,

Bestow, we pray Your grace abundantly upon us

And make those hastening to attain Your promises heirs to the treasures of Heaven.

Though our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, who lives and reigns through the Holy Spirit,

God for ever and ever.

 

REFLECTION QUESTIONS                                                                       

In making this prayer tangible the following reflection questions emerged:

How have I experienced the mercy of God?

How might I experience the mercy of God this coming week?

What hinders us from desiring the promises of Heaven right now? (attitudes/behaviours)?

How can I re-educate myself on the Sacrament of Reconciliation?

How will I express my gratitude for God’s mercy and pardon in my life this coming week?

GOSPEL REFLECTION

Matthew 21:28–32

Theme: “Actions Speak Louder Than Words”

Setting the Scene

As Jesus continues teaching in Jerusalem, He tells the chief priests and elders the Parable of the Two Sons.

A father asks each of his sons to work in the vineyard.

The first son refuses. Yet later, he changes his mind and goes to work.

The second son politely agrees to his father's request, saying, "I will, sir," but never goes.

Jesus asks His listeners which of the two sons truly did the father's will.

They answer correctly: the one who eventually obeyed.

Jesus then delivers a challenging message. Tax collectors and prostitutes, who had once lived far from God but repented at the preaching of John the Baptist, were entering the Kingdom of God ahead of those who outwardly appeared righteous but refused to believe.

This Gospel reminds us that God looks beyond our words and sees the true response of our hearts.

Gospel Reflection: Saying "Yes" with Our Lives

It is easy to say the right words.

We can promise to follow God, attend worship, and speak confidently about our faith. Yet Jesus reminds us that genuine discipleship is measured not simply by what we say, but by how we live.

The first son initially refuses his father's request. His response is disappointing, yet he later experiences a change of heart and chooses to obey.

The second son appears respectful and willing, but his actions never match his words.

Jesus uses this simple parable to reveal an important truth.

God delights in hearts that are open to repentance.

No matter how far we may have wandered, it is never too late to turn back to Him.

The Gospel also challenges those who may become comfortable in their faith. Following Christ requires continual conversion, allowing our daily choices to reflect the promises we make.

True obedience grows from a heart transformed by God's grace.

Personal Reflection

There are times when my words and my actions do not always match.

I may intend to pray more faithfully, serve more generously, or forgive more readily, yet good intentions alone do not bear fruit.

Jesus invites me to move beyond intention into action.

The first son's example offers great hope.

Even after making the wrong choice initially, he allows his heart to change.

God is always ready to welcome those who sincerely repent and begin again.

Each new day offers another opportunity to say "yes" to God—not only with my lips but through the way I live, love, and serve others.

The Father's invitation continues.

How will I respond today?

Questions for Reflection

  1. What part of this Gospel speaks most strongly to me today?
  2. When have my actions reflected my faith more clearly than my words?
  3. Is there an area of my life where God is inviting me to change my heart?
  4. How do I respond when I recognise that I have made the wrong choice?
  5. What practical step can I take this week to live my faith more authentically?
  6. How have I experienced God's mercy after turning back to Him?
  7. In what ways is Jesus inviting me to say "yes" through my daily actions?

 

Closing Prayer

Lord Jesus,

You call me not only to speak of faith,
but to live it each day.

Forgive me
for the times my actions have not reflected
my love for You.

Give me a humble heart
that is always willing
to repent, to begin again,
and to follow wherever You lead.

Help me to say "yes"
through my words, my choices,
and my daily acts of love and service.

May my life bear witness to Your grace
so that others may come to know
Your goodness through me.

Amen.

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment