Sunday, August 23, 2026

Collect Series: Collect for 21st Sunday of Year A

 Collect Series

The Mass: Collect Series


COLLECT SERIES

COLLECT

 

The Collect for 21st Sunday Ordinary Time reads as follows:

O God, who cause the minds of the faithful to unite in a single purpose,

Grant Your people to love what You command and to desire what You promise,

That amid the uncertainties of this world,

our hearts may be fixed on that place where true gladness is found.

Through Our Lord Jesus Christ Your Son,

Who lives and reigns with You in the unity of the Holy Spirit,

God for ever and ever.

 

REFLECTION QUESTIONS

In making this prayer tangible the following reflection questions emerged:

1.    What does God promise me? Make a list.

2.    How much do I desire what God promises? 

3.    What step/s will I take this coming week to desire what God promises? ( eg ask God to give/increase in me the desire to love what You promise, make a list of some of the desires of God and ask God to show me how to live these desires this week).

4.    List the commands of God that I recall. How can I renew/refresh/revive these commands in my life this coming week.

5.    Why do I need to love what God commands?

6.    What is my current response to anxiety, fear, uncertainty?

7.    What step/s will I take this week to fix my heart in God? Where is that place in my body, mind and spirit where I find true gladness

 

GOSPEL REFLECTION

Chapter 1: Twenty-First Sunday in Ordinary Time

Matthew 16:13–20

Theme: “Who Do You Say That I Am?”

Setting the Scene

Jesus and His disciples travel to the region of Caesarea Philippi, a place known for its pagan temples and many competing beliefs. In the midst of this setting, Jesus asks His disciples an important question:

"Who do people say the Son of Man is?"

The disciples share the various opinions they have heard. Some believe Jesus is John the Baptist, others Elijah, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.

Then Jesus asks the question that reaches far beyond public opinion:

"But you," He asks, "who do you say I am?"

Simon Peter responds with a profound confession of faith:

"You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

Jesus declares that this truth has been revealed to Peter by the Father and not by human understanding alone. He then gives Peter a unique mission within the Church, saying that upon this rock He will build His Church, and the gates of the underworld shall never prevail against it. Finally, Jesus instructs His disciples not to tell anyone yet that He is the Christ.

This Gospel invites us to move beyond knowing about Jesus to truly knowing Him personally.

Gospel Reflection: A Personal Encounter with Jesus

At the heart of this Gospel is one question that every disciple must eventually answer:

"Who do you say that I am?"

Jesus is not seeking information. He already knows what is in the hearts of His disciples. Rather, He invites them—and each one of us—to profess our faith personally.

Peter's response is not simply a well-rehearsed answer. It is a moment of revelation. Jesus makes it clear that Peter's confession comes from the Father. Faith is always God's gift before it becomes our response.

Peter's declaration becomes the foundation for his mission. Jesus entrusts him with a special responsibility to strengthen and lead His people. The Church is built upon faith in Christ, and despite every challenge throughout history, Christ remains faithful to His promise that the powers of evil will never overcome it.

This Gospel also reminds us that faith is not built upon popular opinion. The crowds had many ideas about Jesus, yet they did not fully recognise who He truly was. Genuine discipleship requires each of us to answer Christ's question from the depths of our own hearts.

Every generation must make Peter's confession its own:

"You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

Personal Reflection

The question Jesus asks His disciples is also directed to each one of us today.

It is possible to know many facts about Jesus, to attend Mass regularly, and even to serve within the Church. Yet Jesus gently asks each of us whether our relationship with Him is personal.

Who is Jesus in my own life?

Is He simply a great teacher from history, or is He truly my Lord, Saviour, and faithful companion?

Like Peter, our journey of faith is not perfect. Peter would later experience moments of weakness and failure, yet Jesus continued to form him into the leader He had called him to be.

The same is true for us.

Jesus does not expect perfect disciples. He invites willing hearts that are open to His grace.

Each day offers another opportunity to deepen our relationship with Him and to renew our profession of faith.

Questions for Reflection

  1. What part of this Gospel speaks most strongly to me today?
  2. How would I answer Jesus' question, "Who do you say that I am?"
  3. When have I experienced a deeper personal encounter with Jesus?
  4. How has God strengthened my faith throughout my life?
  5. In what ways am I helping to build up the Church through my words and actions?
  6. Where is Jesus inviting me to trust Him more completely?
  7. How can I witness more confidently to my faith this week?

Closing Prayer

Lord Jesus,

You know my heart
and You call me
into a deeper relationship with You.

Help me to recognise You
not only with my mind,
but with my whole life.

Strengthen my faith
so that I may confidently proclaim
that You are the Christ,
the Son of the living God.

Build Your Church within me,
making my heart
a place of hope,
faith, and love.

Give me the courage
to follow You faithfully
and to bear witness to Your Gospel
wherever You lead me.

May I grow each day
in my knowledge of You,
my love for You,
and my trust in Your promises.

Amen.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment