Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Praying with Art Part 1

 

PRAYER SERIES.

Holy Spirit

Holy Spirit: Prayer series Icon.




 

PRAYING WITH ART 

Do you ever feel dry in prayer, stopped praying, would like to explore a different way to pray?

Throughout this series I would like to present some different ways to pray.  Many of them you will have heard of before, some of them you have already tried but might like to revisit and others may provide a different way into prayer.

 In today’s post I would like to share with you a type of prayer which you may not have considered before, that is praying with art.   I was introduced to this type of prayer last year, so I want to say that I am no expert.  I am sharing my own experience from this type of prayer from the course.  It is definitely worth exploring as another tool in the prayer tool box.

WHAT IS PRAYING WITH ART?

Religious art has long been an inspiration for prayer. The Catechism says that ‘Christian iconography expresses in images the same gospel message that Scripture communicates by words. Image and word illuminate each other.’1 Images can be an aid to prayer, the image adding another dimension to the words of Scripture we may be pondering. For example, lectio divina – that slow, meditative pondering of the Word of God – can use images to invite us into the Scripture in what can be referred to as ‘visio divina’, or ‘godly seeing’. Gazing at the image can help to immerse ourselves in the words we are pondering. Icons can be particularly helpful here. Henri Nouwen described them as ‘created for the sole purpose of offering access, through the gate of the visible, to the mystery of the invisible. Icons are painted to lead us into the inner room of prayer and bring us close to the heart of God.’

 

So, for example, this icon of Christ the Vine  can aid our pondering on those beautiful verses in John 15: 1 Catechism of the Catholic Church (1983) n.1160 The beauty of…. images moves me to contemplation, as a meadow delights the eyes and subtly infuses the soul with the glory of God – St John Damascene Make your home in me, as I make mine in you. I am the vine, you are the branches. As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you. I call you friends. You did not choose me, no, I chose you. John: 15: 4,5,9,15,16

Similarly, in imaginative contemplation, sacred art can add another dimension to our understanding of a gospel story and enrich our capacity to be present to the scene. In Caravaggio’s Supper at Emmaus.

Can  we might imagine ourselves as one of these two disciples at this moment of recognition – as they leap up from the table, the bowl of fruit at the front falls off the table (and into our space) and the risen Jesus vanishes from their sight. Or we could be an onlooker, perhaps pondering with the inn-keeper (not mentioned in Luke’s account) as he watches the scene unfold: what might he be thinking and feeling?

Or take this well-known image in St Paul’s Cathedral, Holman Hunt’s Light of theWorld.  Can we imagine ourselves hearing Jesus standing at the door of our heart knocking – ‘If one of you hears me calling and opens the door, I will come in to share his meal, side by side with him’ (Rev 3:20). You may notice there is no door handle on the outside – it is up to us whether we open or not. Jesus is gentle and never forces anything. Maybe that speaks to us? Do either of these images add anything to your understanding of and encounter with Jesus in prayer?

 

SECULAR ART

Secular art, too, can be a source of inspiration for prayer. All art can speak to our deepest feelings, calling forth our own creative response to the creativity of the artist. Just as we can be moved by a beautiful sunset, or seeing the smile of a child, or hearing a wonderful musical symphony, often without knowing why, so a painting or sculpture can move us beyond words to some deep feeling, some movement of the heart towards God – a feeling of ‘I know not what’ as CS Lewis put it or, in another of his phrases, being ‘surprised by joy.’

Or, as St Ignatius would say, allowing us to experience ‘inner feeling and relish.’ We do not need to like or admire the art. We can simply notice our ‘inner feelings’. Even responses of unease or discomfort are telling us something – and we can bring this movement to God in prayer. This capacity to be moved is perhaps one reason Jesus used parables – because a parable or a poem, like a piece of music or work of art, can move us beyond the immediate meaning of the spoken word. They engage our feelings, our emotions, our imaginations and touch our hearts as well as our heads.

 

Just as we can use our imagination to enter a gospel scene in prayer, so we can use our imagination when standing before a painting – we can place ourselves somewhere in the scene, feel the fresh air, hear the people talk, taste the food we see on the table, walk through the landscape, and so on. If it is a scene of people, we might want to imagine being there with them or as one of them, engaging in dialogue, or play, or work, whatever it is. We can share the scene with God. God can speak to us through anything and everything, through our own feelings, desires and responses.

FROM MY EXPERIENCE WITH PRAYING WITH ART.

In the course on types of prayer I attended last year that each session began with a short time of relaxing body and mind and spirit.  The participants were doing the course online in the evening so the focus was on relieving the stress from the body built up over the day. The leader took us through a guided relaxation allowing us to feel where the stress in the body was and then not dwelling on it but gently letting it go. 
I was attending the course from the opposite hemisphere so I was on an early zoom call.  However, at that time for the 4-6 weeks, I was particularly stressed with what was going on in my life.  I found this guided relaxation vital part of the process.
It is a very important part of praying as it invites to prepare body,mind and spirit for communion with God. 



We were invited to bring our own photo/paining to reflect upon. It did not have to be religious but could be secular.  However I chose this image as I was using it for my upcoming Christmas CD. 

Then we were invited to pray with the art that we had chosen.  There were some guided reflection questions too which we will discuss next week.

 

From my time with this session and subsequent occasions praying with this same image during Advent season,  I came to appreciate on a different level the mystery of the Incarnation.  I believe that through this process, Jesus gave me insights which I probably would not have received in another prayer form.  I have experienced similar insights when I have prayed with art subsequently.  

This prayer form is not necessarily for every body and may not be something I would use every day. Yet, from my experience I would not discount it either. It is worth exploring in my view especially if your prayer life is becoming dull or stifled.  It is becoming a more valuable tool in my prayer box. The key as I see it is to  spend that time relaxing the body first and then spending time with Jesus as you allow the mind to travel where it wants to go and allow the Holy Spirit to guide your thoughts. 


SUGGESTED ACTION PLAN  FOR THIS WEEK.

 1. Choose an image/photo or art work either religious and secular.

2. Spend 10 minutes or so to relax your body and release stress from body/mind and spirit to prepare for your time with Jesus.

3. Spend time with the image and allow Jesus to speak to you through it.

4. Make a note of the questions that arose for you from your prayer time.

5. Finish your prayer time with gratitude thanking God for your time together and for whatever insights you gained about you, your life and your relationship with God.


Next Week: Reflection Questions for Praying with Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment