Saturday, March 11, 2017

Second Sunday Lent Year A Collect

The Collect for the Second Sunday of Year A reads as follows:

 
O God who has commanded us
to listen to Your beloved Son
be pleased, we pray,
to nourish us inwardly by Your word,
that with spiritual light made pure,
we may rejoice to behold Your glory.
 
 
In making this prayer tangible for during the week, the following reflection questions emerged:
 
1. What does it mean to me to listen to God's beloved Son?
2.  What hindrances do I experience in listening? How might I overcome these?
3.  What value do I place on God's word?
4. How can God's word nourish my life this coming week?
5. If I was to die today/ this week am I ready to behold God's glory?
6. What  value do I place in my life of the hope of future glory? 
7.  How will it  affect the way I live this week? 
 
Today's Gospel  from Matthew is one of my favourite readings in Scripture of the Transfiguration.
I used to like this Gospel but since having visited the Holy Land some years ago and have gone up Mt Tabor, my mind goes straight there when I hear it read.
 
I love this account for a number of reasons but there is one line that speaks to me
"  they looked up and saw no one but Jesus".  I find this phrase helpful in my life because to look up is to change one's focus and not to just change one's focus, but to ''see'' no one but Jesus. 
Then when we see no one but Jesus we are not distracted but can return a loving gaze to Him, who loves us so much and offers us eternity. We can always keep an inward gaze towards Him throughout our day and keep our focus there in amongst the busyness of our lives.
 
 I find it helpful during the sacrament of Reconciliation- to look up and see no one but Jesus is particularly powerful when the priest is giving absolution but also helpful when confessing as well.
 
The Transfiguration story in Lent is meant to encourage us during our Lenten journey- it reminds us that there is a point to our journey during Lent- but not only Lent but for our future- God offers us eternity- hope of future glory.
 
We do not know what Heaven is like and obviously we have not been there. However, do you long to meet Christ and live with Him for ever?  How much do you long for it? Today's gospel is meant to give us hope and to remind us of the prize for which we run. Lent is excellent intense training but let us travel with hope in our hearts- the hope of future glory.
   
 
                                         Have a glorious week with hope in your heart.
 
                                      


No comments:

Post a Comment